Saturday, February 18, 2012

Banana Bread Chia Protein Muffins


This recipe came from Katie Farrell over at Dashing Dish. Alex and I love these! We have already made them two times. The first time I used instant oats and the muffins were concave after taking them out of the oven. It wasn't a complete fail because they still tasted great.

The second batch I made a few changes. I add about 2 1/2 Tablespoons of Chia seed to add some healthy oils to the muffins. Chia seeds give it a little bit of a nutty taste but not a lot. I also added some vanilla because I was using plain protein powder.

Per Alex's request, I add nuts to half of the muffins. This does add 1 point to each muffin. Alex is already asking when I am making these again!


Make sure to use cupcake liners when making these because they really like to stick. I would also recommend letting the cool before trying to take them out of the liner, they come out a little bit better.

I have been refrigerating the muffins between eating them and warming them for a few seconds in the microwave. Dishing Dish says she freezes them and reheats, I have not tried this yet.

Banana Bread Chia Protein Muffins
Adapted from Dashing Dish

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup ripe banana (about 1 small banana)
  • 3/4 cup egg whites (I used Egg Beater egg whites)
  • 1/2 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt
  • 3/4 cup old fashion rolled oats (do not use instant)
  • 2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I used plain and added vanilla extract)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
  • 12-14 packets stevia (or 1/2 cup sweetener of choice)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp chia seeds (optional)
Directions
  •  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tin with silicone or foil liners.
  •  Place all of the ingredients in a blender, (or food processor), and blend until mixture is smooth.
  • Divide mixture evenly between 12 muffin tins. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Servings = 12

Weight Watchers Points Plus = 1

No comments:

Post a Comment